Wednesday 3 February 2010

Sherlock Holmes title sequence (Font, camera angles etc.)



The film I'll be analysing is Sherlock Holmes, this is because it was regarded one of the best films in the year 2009, hence to have this sort of recognition must be significant therefore this is why I choose to comment on this film. I first notice that the font is following the Serif, this means that it has a curly edge at the end of each letter, this style of writing relates to the year which this film is set in, which is in the late 60's therefore the handwriting was very sophisticated & also possibly the intelligence which the main character Holmes has,and by having this font it allows the audience to realise that possibly he is very intelligent or wise at what he does & if you view the film you will realise that he does, you can notice the handwriting if look at the picture to your right.




Also the camera work in my opinion is of great use, this is because I viewed a great long shot which is in the sequence which I viewed. This shot allows the audience to view the whole aspect and also to identify that the year this film is set is quite old therefore by giving this image the director is hinting that the film is set in the 60's and possibly the way the actor's are going to express themselves in the film not only this but also props used are genuinely props which were used in that time period.




Further more there are two great close ups that occur during the sequence I viewed, I got the impression that these close ups had significance due to the fact that the close up was of the two most important actors in the film which is Sherlock Holmes himself and also his assistant also it showed great emotions during these close ups so therefore these were great addition to the sequence so it gave the audience a clear idea that these two are the ones which the film revolves around.


Also apart from coming across a close up of each of them, we also view a two shot which gives the audience that sense that these two from having a sort of good partnership[ but also that they are great Friends so therefore this allows the audience to fell compassion whenever these two characters come across immense tension and I believe this is what the director wanted to give away by having this camera shot taken.





As you would say leave the best till last, and this is true because this over the shoulder shot is outstanding because not only does it demonstrate the power which Sherlock Holmes has within him (intelligence) but also the power without and also the emotion which the characters being hit show therefore this allows the audience to once again learn something new about Sherlock Holmes which is his a force to be reckoned with.




Apart from the camera shots in this sequence the sound used is like a thumping sound with a mix of ticking sound this adds to the tension which possibly the characters are put through this film therefore giving the audience the idea they are in for a whole lot of tension, and this is why this sequence appeals to em because it has o much tension it is fast paced therefore keeping me on my edge of my seat and also it keeps me thinking whats next so building a puzzle within my own mind and I think this is what the director wanted to achieve and I believe that he has because it has with me so this is why I have chosen to analyze this title sequence and below you could view the whole sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment